Artem Trotsyuk, PhD
1. When and how did you first get involved with the WHS?
In 2018, when I started my PhD studies in the Geoffrey Gurtner Laboratory at Stanford University.
2. Tell us about your research:
My research interests lie in bioengineering, gene editing, wearables, CRISPR therapy and regenerative medicine. Currently, I am using bioengineering tools coupled with artificial intelligence to improve wound healing outcomes in diabetic patients. I am working on developing a smart bandage that implements a closed-loop AI processing system for sensing and therapeutic delivery into a wound bed.
3. What are your long-term goals?
My long term goals are to contribute to the intersection of academia and industry. There are many exciting projects in academia that have the potential to spin out and impact many patients, yet a majority of the projects hit the valley of death from a funding perspective and have a hard time leaving the bench side. Helping that domain expand would be a fulfilling contribution to science and patients.
4. What is the greatest wound care innovation in our modern times?
Smart bandages. We are at the cusp of using sensing technologies for real time care. A lot of these devices are in the early stages of development at the moment, but they have the potential to revolutionize wound care for more cost efficient and robust treatment for patients.
5. If you could have any superpower, what would it be? And why?
To teleport. I love to travel, but do not like the process of getting to the new place. Speeding up time spent to get to a destination would be amazing.
6. When you were a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
First a firefighter, then a brain surgeon then a cardiothoracic surgeon.
7. What is the best advice you have ever received?
No one is coming. Get up and do the work. – best advice ever received. Motivates me to get up and do the work every day to work towards defined goals.
8. Which personality traits do you value most in your colleagues?
Resilience and trust. Those two make up an amazing team dynamic that can tackle any situation.
9. What do you enjoy doing when you are not working?
Finding a new local coffee shop or a pizza shop to try.
10. If Hollywood made a movie about your life, who would you like to see cast as you?
Henry Cavill or Henry Ian Cusick.